Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Still Growing....... part 3

As I continue, since my last post I have had no less than 5 conversations specifically surrounding this topic. I am amazed at how much emphasis is on this topic, and how little true direction can be found in the bible regarding church growth.
Let me expound on a few things if I could.
The bible says in Psalm 127:1 Unless the LORD builds the house, They labor in vain who build it; Unless the LORD guards the city, The watchman keeps awake in vain.
It also says in Acts 2:47
Day by day continuing with one mind in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart,
Act 2:47 ...praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved.

Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not... The focus throughout the word of God was never on the number of people.... instead the focus was on the heart of the people and their actions toward others....
a few examples -
  1. David and Goliath, the masses against the children of Israel, saved by one man with a heart toward God
  2. Isaiah (1:13) Phophesied, the incense of the children of Israel was an abomination to God, because their HEARTS weren't there
  3. Never once did Jesus ask peter if he had met His "Fish" quota, nor how many "Fish" he had caught

These are just a few other examples.... many many more, but I won't continue, because - even though God didn't expressly talk about numbers doesn't mean that we are foolish if we do! We are each responsible for what God has given us, to some it is a multitude, to others it's just a few loaves and a couple of fish. The important thing is that we are pointing others to the important thing----- GOD and Him Alone.

So what does that mean????

To take my clues from (yet again) the "WORD" - "To one he gave five talents, to another, two, and to another, one, each according to his own ability; and he went on his journey.

How many talents have you/I been given, and what are we going to do with it? Add to it, do the best we can with what we got? or do we look at the person that has more talents and strive to be like them???

Last thought for now (I will have more later) Romans 9:21 - does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for common use?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is soooo good for thought!
Tahnk you for your blogging!
It's funny because I've been really thinking about, "I am fearfully and wonderfully made, this I know full well." So, If I am fearfully and wonderfully made (which I am), He, God, made me an original, fit for His Kingdom! All I have to do is my BEST of who I am, knowing that He created me in His image to be ALL He created me to be! Yea!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that's supposed to be THANK you for your blogging!