Saturday, November 3, 2007

Unplug... and Relax

I had someone from the church call me yesterday for help with computer problem. Apparently, there was a power spike and their computer shut down and wouldn't re-start. This is a fairly normal (although not common) occurrence. As I talked with them, I walked them through a very simple process of unplugging the computer, turning off any switches, waiting for a bit and then plugging everything back in, and turning the computer on.... Worked like a charm, but as we talked I could tell that this person was really weighed down with allot going on in life... and this was yet another straw. While I was explaining the fact that new computer power supplies have a built in spike suppressor, and sometimes need to be reset, I realized what I was communicating to her wasn't meant for the computer... but for me.

Unplug, relax and have a cup of tea, or coffee, then plug back in and everything should be OK!
Last year I lost my job with a church I had been with for 12 years, and on staff for 7... that hurt, and was a very interesting time in my, and my wife's lives. When we left that church, we made a decision to not go anywhere for a couple of weeks to just spend time with each other, and I am so glad we did. I have seen so many people in life, and in many churches, get hurt and pull back (Unplug). I think that this can at times be healthy, if the reason for pulling back is to re-assess, or even heal for a time.... but what then...

In this situation this week, I realized if I had left the advice at "Unplug and relax" This person would have probably felt great for a while, but somewhere down the road would realize how useless they had become, and how unproductive their computer is.
Unplug and relax...
You must then, at some point, plug back in. In the church I hear all the time people talking about be a part of the "Global" body of Christ and not a part of a local church, then when all hell breaks loose in their lives they say that the church abandoned them because no-one was there to help....

Well Boo Hoo... I'm so sorry to hear that you have unplugged yourself from the people around you who God has put there to help you in hard times only to blame them when your life goes wrong. How smart is that, that would be like me blaming the power company for my computer not working even though I never plugged it back in.

OK, a bit of a rant there, but I think you understand what I mean. If like is hard and you are hurting and stressed... Unplug for a bit, relax, spend some time fellowshipping with God one on one, but then plug back in!!!

You know what else really grinds my gears.... When I can't find those droids I've been looking for!

-I'm Just Sayin!

No comments: