Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Sheep says........

First off, let me give a shout out to my Peeps® ...
Brandy- I hear ya, and I just appreciate that you are happy I am excited!! YOU ROCK!!! (btw your people and my people need to get together soon and hang!)

Now back to the show...

I recently had a discussion with my pastor that I thought was very note-worthy. It started with a question... What does it mean to be a good Pastor?

Across america we in the "Religious" community are unknowingly faced with this question on a daily, weekly, or in some cases seasonal basis (christmas, and easter).

If I were a dull sort of person, I may take this opportunity to prove just how much greek I know (or at least how much I can copy from other websites) and explain the root of the word, english words that are derived from it, and just how many people can say peter piper picked a ...... oh wait... scratch that last one, but I think you get my drift.

Here's a point... every day, we decide what we expect others around us to act like, think like, speak like, dress like, and how much if any cream should go in there coffee. (lots for me)
In this decision, we weigh in what we hear in the news, what we read in a book, or what color the sky is that day... all pointless!!

If I were to lister to everyone and everything around me that is bold enought o tell me an answer for a question I didn't even ask, this is what they/it would say... A PASTOR IS>>>

Someone who should be able to operate, manage, create, and turn over all control to anyone who wants it, a multi-million dollar corporation (and it's subsidiaries), while making the salary of a elementary school teacher.

They should drive a nice car, and wear nice clothes as to reach a certain "Financially stable" segment of the population... but the car can't be classified as "Luxury" b/c that would be culturally insensitive.

They should come to my house at my beckon call, watch my kids (and raise them while you are at it) do my dishes, laundry, take my kids to soccer, and come see me in the hospital when I am done with my 10th cosmetic surgery to get that beauty mole placed in "Just the right spot".

Basically, they should be everything you expect them to be... and if they miss one point, well.... I guess they are just human too!!!

(hopefully at this point in my rant, you can hear the sarcasm... if not, I will pray for you... seriously)

That is culture.... The pastor should be the "Burger King" --- My way!

*** Wiki ***
Around 400 AD, Saint Augustine, a famous North African bishop, described a pastor's job:
Disturbers are to be rebuked, the low-spirited to be encouraged, the infirm to be supported, objectors confuted, the treacherous guarded against, the unskilled taught, the lazy aroused, the contentious restrained, the haughty repressed, litigants pacified, the poor relieved, the oppressed liberated, the good approved, the evil borne with, and all are to be loved.[1]
*** END Wiki ***

Interestingly enough is the thought that a pastor should instead of being all things... should minister to all people helping them all to grow closer to God and even when it means being bold to people who need it... or "Tellin it like it is" ... all are to be loved!

Even when I look at the true definition of a pastor (as well as the Greek root) I don't see the words "A Timeless Visionary" or even "Fortune 500's top 5 sexiest men alive" or anything but a focus on leading people to Christ... PERIOD!

Now before you get out your torch and pitchforks on me, I do understand that each pastor has strengths, and that there are many many ways to reach and push people closer to God...
BUT... In my opinion, if a pastor can't set up a time to talk with you b/c he is always busy with the Business of church... then (and again in my opinion) it is more a business than it is a church.
The business of church can be an all encompassing thing, and in some denominations, can stop true pastors from ever caring for the flock.... you know a shepherd, without sheep...
wait... wouldn't that just be someone out for a walk in a pasture? Or a superintendent of an empty building?

HIRE A MANAGER!!!!! There I fixed all of the churches in America's problems with one phrase.
Let the people who are good at business... do business, and let the people who are good at being shepherds be with the sheep...


nuff said!

(I love everyone who made it to the bottom of this post!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think people should be coming to our house and doing our dishes. Those are my expectations. So if you go to our church snap too it!! Just kidding. I just thought it would be interesting if the shoe was on the other foot.